Minimally Invasive Hernia Repair near Detroit, MI
A hernia is a protrusion of an organ through the wall of the cavity that normally contains it. Surgery is usually required for most types of hernias in order to prevent complications. Minimally invasive hernia repair offers many benefits over traditional surgery. Call (248)551-9090 to schedule an appointment today!
What is the Process of Minimally-Invasive Hernia Repair?
During a minimally invasive hernia repair, a laparoscope, which is a thin tube with a video camera, fixes the hernia. Throughout the surgery, the surgeon is able to see inside your abdomen, Using tools, the surgeon pushes the hernia back into place.
Most of these surgeries are performed as an outpatient procedure, which means clients will return home the same day the surgery is performed.
Benefits of Minimally Invasive Hernia Repair
Your hernia surgeon may recommend minimally invasive hernia repair because:
- It may cause less pain than an open hernia repair
- The recovery time for minimally invasive surgery is typically shorter than open surgery. This allows patients to return to their normal lifestyles more quickly.
- There are smaller incisions, which can mean that scarring is minimal.
- The chance of a patient having to have the surgery again is reduced with minimally invasive surgery.
Who Can Have Minimally Invasive Hernia Repair?
Though minimally invasive surgery offers many benefits over open hernia repair, your hernia surgeon may not suggest it if:
- The patient is obese
- The hernia site has had a previous infection
- There is scar tissue damage from abdominal surgery
Minimally Invasive Hernia Repair Near Detroit
For more information on minimally invasive hernia repair, please consult one of our hernia surgeon experts at Michigan Hernia Surgery, near Detroit. Call us today at (248) 551-9090 with any additional questions you have or for appoinment requests.